It includes the graphical user interface-based operating systems as well as the related system software was once made for compatible third-party systems. But, What is the full form of MAC OS?
MAC OS full form is Macintosh Operating System. Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) is an Operating System which is designed by the Apple Inc. that is to be installed and operated in the Apple Macintosh series of personal computers.
What is Classic MAC OS?
Classic Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) was the original Macintosh Operating System which was introduced in year 1984 together and in cooperation with the first Macintosh and it remained in primary use on Macs till Mac OS X was introduced in the year 2001.
Apple released its original MAC OS on January 24, 1984, before that its system were we can say partially based on Lisa OS and the Xerox PARC Alto computer, which were previewed by Steve Jobs who was the former CEO of Apple. It was named as “System Software” or only “System” but then Apple re-branded it as “Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS)” in the year 1996 which was due in part to its Macintosh clone program that ended a year later.
Classic Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) was characterized by its monolithic design.
The initial versions of System Software or System run one application at a time but System 5 introduced the cooperative multitasking, which is a style of computer multitasking in which the OS never initiates a context switch from a running process to another process instead, it processes voluntarily yield control when idle or blocked in order to enable multiple applications that is to be run concurrently. System 7 supports 32-bit memory addressing and virtual memory for allowing larger programs. The later updates in the System 7 came up with many new features like it enable the transition to the PowerPC Architecture. And the system was considered as the user-friendly, but its architectural limitations were critiqued like limited memory management, lack of protected and access control etc.
What are the 9 Major Versions of Classic MAC OS?
The 9 major versions of Classic Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) that were released are as follows: –
- Macintosh System Software- “System 1” which was released in the year 1984.
- System Software 2, 3 and 4 which were released in between year 1985 and 1987.
- Software 5 that was released in the year 1987.
- System Software 6 which was released in the year 1988.
- System Software 7/ Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) 7.6 which was released in the year 1991.
- System Software 8/ Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) 8 – released in the year 1997.
- System Software 9/ Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) 9 which was the final major version that was released in the year 1999.
When the first desktop version was released?
The first desktop version of Macintosh Operating System (MAC OS) was released on March 24, 2001 which supported the Aqua user interface and since then many more versions were released with the new features and technologies. Some of them are as follows: –
- MAC OS X 10.0: The code name was “Cheetah” and was released to its end users on Saturday, March 24, 2001.
- OS X 10.1: The code name was “Puma” and was released to its end users on Tuesday, September 25, 2001.
- MAC OS X 10.2: The code name was “Jaguar” and was released to its end users on Friday, August 23, 2002.
- OS X Panther: Its version was 10.3 and was released to its end users on Friday, October 24, 2003.
- MAC OS X Tiger: Its version was 10.4 and was released to end users on Friday, April 29, 2005.
NOTE: – There are many more desktop versions which were released from which few of them are listed above.
FAQ’s on MAC OS
Q1. What is the full form of MAC OS?
Ans. MAC OS full from is Macintosh Operating System. Also MAC OS full from in Hindi is
Macintosh ऑपरेटिंग सिस्टम.
Written By-Arpit Sen